|Platform||SteamVR, Oculus Rift (Platform)|
|Device||HTC Vive, Oculus Rift|
|Genre||Action, Indie, Strategy, VR, FPS, Cyberpunk, Robots, Survival, Horror, Atmospheric|
|Input Device||Tracked Motion Controllers|
|Play Area||Standing, Room-Scale|
|Game Mode||Single Player, Multiplayer, Online Multiplayer, Co-Op, Online Co-Op, Cross-Platform Multiplayer|
|Release Date||Oct 5, 2017|
Raw Data is another one of those myriad of titles that are trying their very best to become the next big, VR hit; but unlike a number of similar, uninteresting titles, Raw Data comes exceptionally close to that particular title. There are a number of areas that this game thrives on, and if you can look past some of the current bugs that the game has, you’ll find yourself quickly falling for this futuristic, VR FPS.
Since the game is quite clearly a VR game, it should come as no surprise that the best possible genre for the game would be a first person shooter and that’s something the game easily achieves. It currently has a mix of both melee and ranged combat; allowing you the opportunity to wield a lightsaber-looking blade to cut down your opponents or to pull out a pair of twin pistols and bullet-time a bunch of robots until they hit the ground! From what I’ve played of the game so far, the combat is incredibly fun and frantic, and gives you the true feel of what VR games are meant to do: allow you to truly experience a virtual reality environment.
Aesthetically, Raw Data is also a title that is easily considered one of the prettiest VR FPS games out at the moment, and that’s currently for a game in Early Access. If the game is set to get regular updates, which I’m sure that’s exactly what the game will be receiving and will result in the game's graphical fidelity being improved almost completely around the board. In terms of the levels and the environments, they are all very well detailed, and has a very good sense of sci-fi within it. Regardless of whether you’re cutting down legions of robots or walking down a metallic hallway, looking for your next fight; what you’ll be enjoying immensely is your surroundings and the details that have gone into this game.
Something not too many VR games manage to do, especially successfully is multiplayer. Raw Data, once again appears to be the exception to the rule; featuring a co-op multiplayer mode where you can play side-by-side with your buddy and destroy every mean and nasty robot that comes between you and your friends glowing sword.
Of course, no matter how much Raw Data may get right, there are some elements of the game that isn’t exactly perfect, which is partly down to the fact it is still in Early Access. So, on the odd occasion you’re going to discover a bug here or there and while it may not break the immersion of the game very often, it will come to affect your gameplay every now and again. One thing that is less of a bug and more of a physics issue is that on occasions, when you destroy a robot, especially with your sword, the ragdoll can sometimes react in ways that make no sense at all. For instance, at times where I cut down a robot, its physics got caught on the blade and soon started falling in the opposite direction that I had sliced the poor dude. While it may not be a big issue, witnessing it is quite bizarre and takes away some of the satisfaction that comes from cutting down enemies if their physics decide to take a weird transition from there on.
Overall, Raw Data is currently in Early Access, so there are going to be a few niggling issues here and there, but if you can look past those with the understanding that they will be fixed in due time; then you’ve got yourself one incredible VR game. Not only is the gameplay incredibly satisfying and fun to perform, regardless of the amount of time you put into the game, you’ll be enjoying yourself. From an environmental and level-design standpoint, it truly has the essence of a sci-fi environment and only adds that higher level of immersion you would want from this type of game. Thanks to all of these reasons and the fact that the game can only get better from here, it’s easy to say that the game warrants a recommendation.
Neo-Shinjuku - 2271. The massive and seemingly benevolent Eden Corporation owns the world. The elite hacker resistance movement SyndiK8 has unearthed the sinister reality behind Eden Corp’s newest line of robotic products. As one of SyndiK8’s elite operatives, your mission is straightforward: infiltrate Eden Tower, steal as much Raw Data as possible, and get out alive--bringing Eden Corp down in your wake.
However, as the secrets behind Chairman Shiro’s new “Promotion” program becomes clear, the reality gets much more complicated. Does it really grant immortality? What is Eden truly collecting? It seems that Eden’s corporate veneer may be just a thin facade for something much, much worse.
Built from the ground up for virtual reality, Raw Data’s action combat gameplay, intuitive controls, challenging enemies, and sci-fi atmosphere will completely immerse you within the surreal environments of Eden Corp. Go solo—or team up with a friend—and become the adrenaline-charged heroes of your own futuristic technothriller. You will put your wits, boldness, and endurance to the test.
Active VR gameplay turns you into a controller, with instant reflex access to an arsenal of advanced weapons and cutting-edge nanotech powers. Shared spaces with avatars and motion tracking encourage players to physically communicate through body language and environment interaction.
- Active VR Combat: Utilize your body to dual wield pistols, slash and slice katanas, pump shotguns, deflect projectiles, do gun tricks, or even use your fists in close-quarters combat. Holster up and pull weapons off your body with physical loadout and check your stats on the in-game forearm display.
- Hostile Takeover PvP: Whatever side you’re on, this fight is personal. Featuring four hero classes with optimized abilities, balanced gameplay, intuitive “joystick” locomotion, as well as stealth and armor powerups, Raw Data: Hostile Takeover lets you battle it out in up to 5v5 matches across multiple king-of-the-hill maps. Duel Mode (coming soon!) also provides a unique 1v1 showdown experience for those who are bent on revenge.
- Choose Your Hero: What’s your fighting style? Choose from multiple badass heroes--Bishop, the Gun Cleric; Saija, the Cyber Ninja; Boss, the Street Merc; or Elder, the Rogue Hunter --with a variety of advanced weaponry, special abilities, combat techniques, and ultimates. Defy gravity, slow down time, charge up shots, crush enemies, boomerang your blades, unleash deadly bullet barrages, fling enemies into the air, and much more.
- Deadly Weapons and Defenses: Access a futuristic arsenal of firepower, from dual handguns and pump-action shotguns to iron knuckles and laser swords, as well as deployable turrets and holographic shields for extra insurance.
- Adaptable Enemies: Battle against swaths of murderous machines, including stealth ninjas, laser gunners, rocket heavies, jumping crawlers, exploder bots, flying drones, charger mechs, ion beams, towering megabots, and more.
- Cross-Platform Online Co-op: Bring along a trusted partner to cover your back no matter what platform they’re playing on. Team up in a shared co-op VR space that encourages social communication via body language, facial expression, and blended animation.
- Online Multi-Player
- Online Co-op
- Cross-Platform Multiplayer
- Steam Achievements
- SteamVR Collectibles
- Steam Cloud
- OS: Windows 10
- Processor: Intel i5-4590
- Memory: 8 GB RAM
- Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
- Storage: 10 GB available space
- OS: Windows 10
- Processor: Intel i7-4770
- Memory: 16 GB RAM
- Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti
- Storage: 10 GB available space